Re: The Cathedral and the Bazaar

To: davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu (David S. Miller)
Subject: Re: The Cathedral and the Bazaar
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: shaver@neon.ingenia.ca, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:   From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
:   Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 19:24:59 -0400 (EDT)
:
:   A friend sent this to me, and I thought it was excellent.
:
:I bet he saw it on the gcc2 developers list... from me ;-)
:

It is an excellent piece.  The problem is that many will not
have the patience to read it since it is so long.

My internal "Why Linux/Freeware" web page at SGI has a pointer to
Eric Raymond's treatise (since David pointed it to me for which
I'm grateful).

To make it easier for more people to grasp I use to send
this short excerpt from the last part:

        No commercial developer can match the pool of talent the Linux
        community can bring to bear on a problem. Very few could afford
        even to hire the more than two hundred people who have contributed
        to fetchmail! [A freeware program maintained by Eric -- Ed]

        Perhaps in the end the free-software culture will triumph not
        because cooperation is morally right or software "hoarding" is
        morally wrong (assuming you believe the latter, which neither
        Linus nor I do), but simply because the commercial world cannot
        win an evolutionary arms race with free-software communities that
        can put orders of magnitude more skilled time into a problem.

We know this of course, now the big question is how to open the eyes
of our CEOs and high level managers (we're working on it).

--
Peace, Ariel