Re: Some simple hardware questions...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Some simple hardware questions...
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 10:03:24 -0700
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries writes:

 > I have some ultra simple hardware questions that I couldn't find answers
 > to.  Excuse the noviceness of it all, I haven't touched SGI hardware in
 > quite some time.
 >
 > 1. Do Indy's come equipped with floppy drives?  What are they?  Is it
 > possible to boot from them?

     An Indy does not come with a floppy drive standard, but it does support
both a floppy and a floptical drive.  Both are SCSI drives, and you should
be able to boot from them, since the boot software does not distinguish
among drive types.

 > 2. I know O2's have PCI busses with a custom controller.  Do Indy's have
 > this too? What is the name of this controller? It would seem reasonably
 > easy to slap a PCI VGA card in there and port XFree86 to run on it.

     No, the Indy has the SGI-specific GIO bus.

 > 3. Do Indy's ship with CDROMs?

     An Indy does not come with a CDROM by default, but most SCSI CDROM
drives should work.  (There is a supported SGI CDROM drive.)