Re: Some simple hardware questions...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Some simple hardware questions...
From: Martin Knoblauch <knobi@munich.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 18:48:12 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries wrote:

> I have some ultra simple hardware questions that I couldn't
> find answers to.  Excuse the noviceness of it all, I haven't
> touched SGI hardware in quite some time.
>
> 1. Do Indy's come equipped with floppy drives?  What are they?
>    Is it possible to boot from them?

 Oh no :-) No, Indys don't come usually with floppys. We
offer a 20MB Floptical option (internal), or a normal floppy
option (external). Both are not really popular with our customers.

 You might be able to boot from them, but this was probably never
tested...

> 2. I know O2's have PCI busses with a custom controller.
>    Do Indy's have this too? What is the name of this controller?
>    It would seem reasonably easy to slap a PCI VGA card in there
>    and port XFree86 to run on it.

 No, Indy comes with our proprietary GIO bus. The GFX cards (8/24)
plug on that.

> 3. Do Indy's ship with CDROMs?

 More often than with floppies, but it is an option. Not standard.

Martin
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
|e-mail: <knobi@munich.sgi.com>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |