Re: Some simple hardware questions...

To: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca
Subject: Re: Some simple hardware questions...
From: Bob Mende Pie <mende@piecomputer.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:48:06 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> 1. Do Indy's come equipped with floppy drives?  What are they?  Is it
> possible to boot from them?

There is an option on indy's that allow for a SCSI iomega floptical (21MB)
drive.  These drives are treated as a removable SCSI disk.  You should be
able to boot from them but I have never tried.

> 2. I know O2's have PCI busses with a custom controller.  Do Indy's have
> this too? What is the name of this controller? It would seem reasonably
> easy to slap a PCI VGA card in there and port XFree86 to run on it.

The indy does not have PCI.   They use a gio bus.

> 3. Do Indy's ship with CDROMs?

As an option there is an external CDROM.   I believe that (nowadays) you
have to really try to get a system without a cdrom.

                              /Bob...                    mailto:mende@sgi.com
                        http://reality.sgi.com/mende/          KF6EID