Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:31:28 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jun 20,  1:20pm, Steve Alexander wrote:
> Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
> "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com> writes:
> >Initially, I wouldn't buy an O2 to run Linux, either.  But, after a
> >while, I might consider puting Linux on it.  If Linux was pretty well
> >tuned (maybe not as well as IRIX but good enough) and I wanted to do
> >some kernel tinkering, you can bet Linux would at least be on a
> >partition.
>
> Why not just a PC?  Cheaper, more expansion, probably better performance for
> just plain kernel hacking.
>
> Unless you're doing graphics things, there's just no point in having an O2,
> IMO.
>
> -- Steve
>-- End of excerpt from Steve Alexander

Yes, that's why I might want to run Linux on an O2.  Since it isn't
even an option yet, I'd run IRIX (if I had an O2).  Also, if there was
some bug in IRIX that kept me from doing something but the bug didn't
exist in Linux, I might want to switch.  It is far easier (and
cheaper) to get a bug fixed in Linux than in IRIX.  Especially if you
can't afford the maintenance fees.

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |