Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: (Larry McVoy)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 10:50:07 -0700
Cc:,,,, (William Fisher)
:       If the demand for Linux on MIPS chips is comming from the "embedded"
:       systems then things sure have changed since the early days of
:       MIPS Computer Systems.

I think it is safe to confirm that yes, indeeedy, the market has changed.

:       If fact the original VP of embedded system marketing at MIPS was
:       Chet Silvestri, now VP of SPARC embedded systems at SUN.

I know Chet, and Chet was real interested in getting some free OS on
embedded SPARC when I was at Sun.

:       Hence I would like to here more about larry's definition of
:       "embedded systems" because they sure don't sound like any
:       that our semiconductor partners sell to.

I think almost 100% of what I would call embedded Linux on MIPS is for
game platforms.  What they really want is a full on Unix environment
that they can use for development/debugging.  When they get done,
they want to rip out Linux/Unix and run an app on the bare hardware.
They may eventually want to leave a stripped down Linux in there but I
don't see why today.

What they really want is a reasonable development environment and they are
smart enough to realize they get there fastest with Linux.