Re: Linux or IRIX on O2s

To: sca@refugee.engr.sgi.com (Steve Alexander)
Subject: Re: Linux or IRIX on O2s
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:49:18 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu, lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com, carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:"David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu> writes:
:>Don't get me wrong, I was constantly reminded what keeps the lights on
:>in bldg. 9 when I was there last summer, but when and if Linux begins
:>to do some (not all) of that "enabling", people might begin to
:>perceive the situation a bit differently.
:
:Don't get me wrong.  I'm not opposed to Linux on SGI.  In fact, I'm in favor
:of it, at least on some set of systems.  I don't believe that Linux on 64P
:O2000s makes a lot of sense yet, but I think it would be nice to have Linux
:running on O200s and Indys.
:
:Personally, I wouldn't buy an O2 to run Linux.
:
:-- Steve
:
Knowing Steve, I believe he meant:

        I wouldn't buy an O2 to run Linux _today_.

Neither would I, because the current value of an O2 is in that big
software chunk that can actually make it work and useful.
IRIX/gfx/Xsgi/digital-media etc.

In fact Linux wouldn't even run on an O2 today so the question is moot.

But, if I would have the choice of a fully functional Linux with graphics
and OpenGL, VRML 2.0 viewer etc. etc.  I would prefer the openness
of Linux over IRIX.  The compelling reasons why people move in droves
to Linux were expressed very eloquently by David, Mike, Todd Shrider,
and others.  I would sum it up as the "formidable advantage of free
software and complete openness over proprietary models."

The lack of this insight is what made IBM lose its dominance in the
industry in the early 90s, what nearly killed Apple in recent years,
and in 15 years, it is my belief (and hope), it is what will kill MS
(Intel is much closer).

SGI/MIPS has a great opportunity with its dominance in the low-end
embedded market (19.2 m units in 1996 and by far the highest growth
rates) to open up and we are somehow seeding this change.  What
is not obvious to many will become more and more obvious with time.

--
Peace, Ariel