Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 10:28:25 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jun 20, 12:21am, Steve Alexander wrote:
> Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
> "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com> writes:
> >My point was that SGI is into making hardware.  That's how it started
> >and that is still its main focus.  Yes, it is true that our software
> >is very important because it takes advantage of the proprietary stuff
> >in the hardware, but the main income for SGI is hardware.
>
> How many people buy the hardware and program the bare metal?
>
> >Note in any
> >press releases and stock holder's documents how much is said about the
> >wonderful software SGI produces (Alias/Wavefront is still a separate
> >entity).  You won't find much.
>
> That's a separate issue, which is that very few people here value software.
> That will probably change with time if the company is going to continue to
> be successful as the industry shifts.
>
> -- Steve
>-- End of excerpt from Steve Alexander

Ah!  That's my point.  As a company, the hardware is valued but the
software isn't.  Just because we *give* software with our hardware
doesn't mean that we are a software oriented company.  We are
definitely hardware oriented.

I've been arguing the point that software is as much of value as
hardware for years.  Look at Bill Gates!  He didn't make it by selling
hardware.  Unfortunately, I've finally succumbed to the realization
that SGI is a hardware company first.

So, if one wants to make any points to upper management, it has to be
in terms of "how much hardware are we going to sell?"  If developing a
really powerful *free* operating system, such as Linux, will sell lots
of boxes, you can bet upper management will be interested.

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |