Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 12:51:10 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thus spake Larry McVoy:
> : Personally, I wouldn't buy an O2 to run Linux.
>
> OK, we won't try and sell you one.  What about the people that would buy
> an O2 to run Linux?
>
> You != <the entire customer base>.

FWIW, there's a _lot_ of interest at my company in having one OS that
runs on all our boxes (Intel, SP*RC, Alpha, now MIPS), and Linux is
the preferred choice.  The reasons don't necessarily have anything
to do with disliking the native OS (except for Solaris, perhaps), but
we _would_ like:
- common file structure and apps
- source compatibility
- access to source for the firewall machines

If the Solaris binary compatibility was up to hosting Oracle and the
Netscape WWW servers[*], we'd probably have already gone that route on
all but the 4d monster.

I know that having Linux on SGI hardware would make it much easier to
`sell' it into our environment, which includes solutions we deliver to
clients.  (And I don't get to make all that many purchasing
decisions. =) )

[*] At the DevCon last week, the question of support for Linux was
raised at the executive Q&A panel.  There was a show of hands, and a
_lot_ of people in the audience were interested in seeing SuiteSpot on
Linux; Netscape's asked me to write them a little paper explaining why
`people who aren't willing to pay for Linux would be willing to pay
for SuiteSpot', and I'll send a copy around here when it's done.

Mike

#>              Commando Developer - Whatever It Takes
#>
#> "See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like
#>    Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." - Linus Torvalds