Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: sca@refugee.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:16:39 -0400
Cc: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com, carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
   Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:59:06 -0700
   From: Steve Alexander <sca@refugee.engr.sgi.com>

   lm@neteng (Larry McVoy) writes:
   >We own MIPS.  MIPS sold or licensed 19.2 million chips last year.  About
   >19 million of those were of the type "program the bare metal".

   MIPS Chips != SGI systems.  My question still stands.

All your assertion proves is that today IRIX is the "enabling"
software technology which puts "SGI systems" out the door.

Don't get me wrong, I was constantly reminded what keeps the lights on
in bldg. 9 when I was there last summer, but when and if Linux begins
to do some (not all) of that "enabling", people might begin to
perceive the situation a bit differently.