Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: Steve Alexander <sca@refugee.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:34:26 -0700
Cc: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com> writes:
: >My point was that SGI is into making hardware.  That's how it started
: >and that is still its main focus.  Yes, it is true that our software
: >is very important because it takes advantage of the proprietary stuff
: >in the hardware, but the main income for SGI is hardware.
:
: How many people buy the hardware and program the bare metal?

We own MIPS.  MIPS sold or licensed 19.2 million chips last year.  About
19 million of those were of the type "program the bare metal".

Much of the Linux/MIPS interest is for embedded systems.  We should have
done this years ago, there is no reason why not to do it other than NIH.