Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:46:33 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jun 18,  4:42pm, Nigel Gamble wrote:
> Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
> On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > : On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Christopher W. Carlson wrote:
> > : >                            SGI is a hardware company!  It surprises me
> > : > that much of our company has forgotten that.
> > :
> > : If it was ever true, it's certainly not true any longer.  SGI is
> > : a systems company.  By which I mean that our "edge" over the
> > : competition comes from a combination of hardware and software
> > : working very closely together.
> >
> > We can argue this all day.  It's pointless.
>
> Who is arguing?  I'm just trying to point out that belittling
> the efforts of all the software engineers at SGI is hardly likely
> to endear your cause to them.  There are those of us who think
> there is a place for both Linux and IRIX (although I know that
> you, Larry, are not one of them); so please try to understand
> where we are coming from.
>

>-- End of excerpt from Nigel Gamble

Please!  Don't think that I am belittling the software engineers!  I
had no intent on doing that.  I *am* one of them.

My point was that SGI is into making hardware.  That's how it started
and that is still its main focus.  Yes, it is true that our software
is very important because it takes advantage of the proprietary stuff
in the hardware, but the main income for SGI is hardware.  Note in any
press releases and stock holder's documents how much is said about the
wonderful software SGI produces (Alias/Wavefront is still a separate
entity).  You won't find much.

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |