Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:40:51 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: nigel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Larry McVoy wrote:

> We can argue this all day.  It's pointless.
>
> Something that is not pointless, something that the nay-sayers should
> take to heart, is that more than 10% of Alpha sales last year were Linux.
> I confirmed this with Digital this morning - the number is somewhere
> between 25 and 30 thousand Alphas running Linux.

Jon "Maddog" Hall says that the existence of Linux for Alphas helped
Digital to sell more Digital UNIX systems than they would have sold
without Linux.  His explanation is simple.  First Linux pulls their
customers into the UNIX board.  Somewhen the customers have a problem
that cannot be solved by Linux but a Digital UNIX system.  So it's a
logical next step for them to use such a systems.

SGI is mostly in the systems bussines and the market of PC class MIPS
machines is carefully expressed not doing very well, so this does not
100% apply to their situation.  The point is that this not a Linux vs.
IRIX situation.

> Add to that the 4-6 million PCs running Linux and you start to have
> a story.
>
> Add to that the 19 million embedded MIPS chips and you start to ask
> yourself why we aren't more serious about this market.

A large fraction of these embedded MIPS chips is able to run Linux from
it's hardware specs.  And I stopped counting the number of companies
that have contaced me about embedded Linux.  I admit that my and probably
most other people's core interest is in "real computers" ...