Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: Larry McVoy <lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: Nigel Gamble <nigel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:42:37 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Larry McVoy wrote:
> : On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Christopher W. Carlson wrote:
> : >                            SGI is a hardware company!  It surprises me
> : > that much of our company has forgotten that.
> :
> : If it was ever true, it's certainly not true any longer.  SGI is
> : a systems company.  By which I mean that our "edge" over the
> : competition comes from a combination of hardware and software
> : working very closely together.
>
> We can argue this all day.  It's pointless.

Who is arguing?  I'm just trying to point out that belittling
the efforts of all the software engineers at SGI is hardly likely
to endear your cause to them.  There are those of us who think
there is a place for both Linux and IRIX (although I know that
you, Larry, are not one of them); so please try to understand
where we are coming from.

Nigel Gamble       "Are we going to push the edge of the envelope, Brain?"
Silicon Graphics   "No, Pinky, but we may get to the sticky part."
nigel@sgi.com
(415) 933-3109