Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: Nigel Gamble <nigel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:16:34 -0700
Cc: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
: On Wed, 18 Jun 1997, Christopher W. Carlson wrote:
: >                            SGI is a hardware company!  It surprises me
: > that much of our company has forgotten that.
:
: If it was ever true, it's certainly not true any longer.  SGI is
: a systems company.  By which I mean that our "edge" over the
: competition comes from a combination of hardware and software
: working very closely together.

We can argue this all day.  It's pointless.

Something that is not pointless, something that the nay-sayers should
take to heart, is that more than 10% of Alpha sales last year were Linux.
I confirmed this with Digital this morning - the number is somewhere
between 25 and 30 thousand Alphas running Linux.

Add to that the 4-6 million PCs running Linux and you start to have
a story.

Add to that the 19 million embedded MIPS chips and you start to ask
yourself why we aren't more serious about this market.

So, while we could sit around and argue with those who disagree, I say
that there is more than enough evidence that there is a market there.
If there's a market, we do it.  That's the SGI way.