Re: SGI machine

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: SGI machine
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:41:11 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jun 18,  9:33am, Martin Knoblauch wrote:
> > --- Forwarded mail from Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
> >
> > Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:17:06 -0400
> > From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
> > To: carlson
> > Subject: Re: SGI machine
> >
> > We now have free systems running on all our machines, so we
> > could not accept a machine that runs a non-free system like IRIX.
> >

>  So, does this mean they are no longer interested in supporting
> GNU stuff on non-free systems?
>
>-- End of excerpt from Martin Knoblauch

Yes, that's what I think it means.

Bottom line is that it is up to us (SGI) to provide the support for
IRIX.  There are various people throughout SGI who do testing and
debugging on our systems and feed them back to FSF.  For example, I'm
on the Emacs pretest list.  I usually get early releases of Emacs and
test it on various boxes before it is released.

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |