Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Getting X on Linux/SGI
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:28:41 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jun 17,  5:34pm, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> P.S:
> It is interesting to note how the SPARC port happened despite Sun
> never releasing low-level stuff (as if they had anything to lose
> by that) and David's reverse engineering all their stuff.  SGI
> has nothing to lose and everything to gain from cooperation with
> the hacker's community.  Linux is running on Alpha and SPARC
> by now.  We don't want to see Linux running on HP and IBM
> before it does on our iron, do we ?
>
> --
> Peace, Ariel
>-- End of excerpt from Ariel Faigon

I agree.  I'm not sure, but how much are we really giving away if we
provide some of our software to the linux community?  Imagine the
proliferation of OpenGL software that would be generated and the
number of computers we would sell if Joe Shmoe could buy an O2 with
Linux and OpenGL support?  SGI is a hardware company!  It surprises me
that much of our company has forgotten that.

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |