Re: (Fwd) Re: SGI machine

To: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: (Fwd) Re: SGI machine
From: Martin Knoblauch <knobi@munich.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:33:02 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Christopher W. Carlson wrote:

> Just thought I'd pass on the response that I received from
> Richard Stallman.
>
> --- Forwarded mail from Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
>
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:17:06 -0400
> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
> To: carlson
> Subject: Re: SGI machine
>
> We now have free systems running on all our machines, so we
> could not accept a machine that runs a non-free system like IRIX.

 So, does this mean they are no longer interested in supporting
GNU stuff on non-free systems?

> Once you have a GNU/Linux system running, that problem would be
> solved.  But usable machines have become pretty cheap--we could buy a
> 686 for the cost of paying a programmer for 2 weeks--and we have more
> than enough machines now for the people we have.  What we mainly need
> nowadays is money to pay programmers.
>
> Is there any chance you could convince some part of SGI to make a
> donation?  Or at least buy a Deluxe Distribution?
>
> We can hire a programmer for a year for just $35000 or so.

  Besides our GNU effort, any chance that we can get someone
to donate a considerable amount of money to the FSF? Just
to make a point that we are not against free software.

Martin
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
|e-mail: <knobi@munich.sgi.com>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |