Re: Good news: no more begging for HW

To: linux@morgaine.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Good news: no more begging for HW
From: offer@sgi.com (richard offer)
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:15:52 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
* $ from jwiede@blammo at "17-Jun: 5:00pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
*
* I realize this comes off as fairly negative, but I'm just trying to explain
the
* issues involved once gfx gets added to the mix.  There would need to be a
* buy-in at a very high level of SGI mgmt. before we could start making the
* hardware details of our graphics subsystems available (at least the more
modern
* ones, such as O2, Impact, etc.).

I don't think this is being negitive, it might not be what we want to hear, but
at least someone who knows about our underlying hardware is making comments.

Probably the first thing to do would be to get the go ahead for a proof of
concept only (under NDA) probably using an old indy. If this proves impossible
from either the technical or political pov's then we need to re-think.

I personaly don't think we have much chance unless we go to NDA and even then
its going to be really hard to get buy-in.

*
*
* --
* John Wiederhirn (DSD, Graphics Kernel MTS)        jwiede@engr.sgi.com
*        "Smithers, unleash the human insight and creativity."
*

richard.

  Dogbert:    "From now on I will not try to reason with the idiots I
              encounter. I will dismiss them by waving my paw and saying
              'BAH'".

  Dilbert:    "Just because someone thinks differently from you doesn't
              mean he's an idiot, Dogbert".

  Dogbert:    [waves paw], "BAH".

                                                   Dilbert: 27-July-96.