(Fwd) Re: SGI machine

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: (Fwd) Re: SGI machine
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 13:02:18 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Just thought I'd pass on the response that I received from Richard
Stallman.

--- Forwarded mail from Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 15:17:06 -0400
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To: carlson
Subject: Re: SGI machine

We now have free systems running on all our machines, so we could not
accept a machine that runs a non-free system like IRIX.

Once you have a GNU/Linux system running, that problem would be
solved.  But usable machines have become pretty cheap--we could buy a
686 for the cost of paying a programmer for 2 weeks--and we have more
than enough machines now for the people we have.  What we mainly need
nowadays is money to pay programmers.

Is there any chance you could convince some part of SGI to make a
donation?  Or at least buy a Deluxe Distribution?

We can hire a programmer for a year for just $35000 or so.

---End of forwarded mail from Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.ai.mit.edu>

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |