Re: Good news: no more begging for HW

To: knobi@munich.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Good news: no more begging for HW
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:18:07 -0500
Cc: ariel@sgi.com, linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Talking about userland nice applications, two extra ideas:

>  so let me chime in. There are the people with the KDE desktop
> (http://www.kde.org/) environment. They gave a presentation at
> the Linux Konference in Wuerzburg. If we want to do some non-kernel
> stuff, they might be a good choice. Maybe even for IRIX :-)

GNUstep:

There are a couple of extra free software projects that may benefit.
One of them is the GNUstep project (do not pay attention to the web
pages for the project the maintainer updates them once every six
months).

They have similar goals to the KDE project, but they are going for an
OpenStep compliant API.

scottc@net-community.com is the person who is doing the GUI code for
Unix.

The GIMP:

There are a couple of students at UC Berkeley that wrote the GIMP (the
GNU Image Manipulation Program), which is a PhotoShop on steroids.

They cloned most of the functionality of Photoshop: plugins, ability
to handle large images, layers, channels.  And on top of that they
embedded a scheme interpreter, so you can create complex graphic art
by just fillling a form.  The Scheme scripts take care of the rest.

You can check their web page at: http://scam.xcf.berkeley.edu/~gimp

Miguel.