Re: Good news: no more begging for HW

To: Larry McVoy <lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Good news: no more begging for HW
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 01:31:13 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Ariel Faigon <ariel@sgi.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>, linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Although I've posted before, I'll fill out the 'form' for reference.
Excuse the verbosity.

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Larry McVoy wrote:
>       who am i?

Professionally, I'm a software engineer for IAC in Boston, MA, where I do
work with large databases.  I've also worked with TimeStep in Ottawa doing
VPN's and IPSEC, and NorTel/BNR doing very quirkly large scale revision
control tools. Lots of Unix and IP experience in this.

But, Linux experience comes from a project called EngSoc, which I started
and maintain almost solely at Carleton University in Ottawa two years ago.
It provides full Linux access for 1,500 users on 20 machines in under
$8,000US annually. We have done a lot of hardware recovery, and, er,
creative implementations.

I've donated 30 hours a week maintaining and expanding the system for the
last two years, but it's time to move on to something newer, like
SGI-Linux.

I have a lot of varied experience with Unices (Solaris, SunOS, Linux,
Net/FreeBSD, HPUX, OSx (oooh... SVR3 and BSD, in the same OS), Irix, etc)
and VMS, and the porting that goes along with it.

So, clearly, I don't have nearly the experience that some people on the
list do with low level kernel authority (eg. Ralf, who must dream in MIPS
assembler), but I am committed to this project and have been since I first
heard of it.

>       what will i do w/ the machine?

Mostly, concentrate on userspace applications, although certainly I will
help test and debug kernels, gcc and libc. I'd like to concentrate on
porting all RPM's I can get my hands on, with a concentration on RedHat
4.2.

I'm also interested in getting an X server running smoothly on it, as well
as getting native file system support running well.

So far, my work has been on Mike's bogomips.ingenia.ca, but I can't do
much more without having physical access.

>       when will it be done?

It depends. I suspect most of the common userland ports can be done over
three months, but there'll be subsequent releases, updates, etc.  I will
be happy when RedHat releases an official Linux/SGI CD.

- Alex