Re: Good news: no more begging for HW

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Good news: no more begging for HW
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 20:59:05 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jun 16,  4:25pm, Ariel Faigon wrote:
> Subject: Good news: no more begging for HW
> [Some good news I wanted to share with all]
>
> Bill Fisher and I are just returning from a meeting w/
> Todd Johnson.  Bottom line is that he agreed to commit
> for 5 machines/year (or "even 10 if you need it") for
> free-software initiatives including Linux.  It is up to
> us (mainly this mailing list subscribers) to find the right
> people who are willing to work on SGI ports and projects and
> Todd will fund the hardware we need.  Of course every system
> will need to be justified based on the developer's reputation
> and ability and the suggested project at hand.
>
> So, if you know of good people who can sign-up for
> real useful projects in return for hardware donations
> please share it with me.  The three machines we have out
> are just a start.
>
> Looks like I won't have to spend so much time begging
> for donations in the coming months.
>
> --
> Peace, Ariel
>-- End of excerpt from Ariel Faigon

One group that I always think could use an SGI machine is the Free
Software Foundation.  They would make sure things worked on SGI before
releasing it.  That way, all of GNU would be tested on SGI by them.

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |