Re: Good news: no more begging for HW

Subject: Re: Good news: no more begging for HW
From: "David S. Miller" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:01:27 -0400
   From: (Ariel Faigon)
   Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:06:41 -0700 (PDT)

   I cannot promise anything since there may be some oversubscription
   to the service :-)

   I think the fairest way would be to publish all these requests on
   this forum and have the people who care (us) vote on who should get
   them.  I certainly don't want to be the fascist person who decides
   who gets what.

Before this gets out of control, I just want to express one sentiment
of high caution.

Although it may seem desirable to contribute most of the donation
hardware to kernel level hackers, this can be a mistake in the making.
At this stage in the game it is just as important to get userland/libc
developers machines.

Therefore I suggest that at least one person who knows GNU libc,
binutils, _and_ gcc internals backwards and forwards be on the top of
the donation list.  If I were asked for such a candidate, I would
recommend Richard Henderson ( He has done the
Alpha/Linux port, he designed an ELF standard for 64-bit Alpha from
scratch with no existing standard available, he is doing the same
exact thing for 64-bit SparcLinux at the moment as well.

Not having a good libc/userland person in this port is why I lost half
my summer last year and was not able to hack the kernel as much as I
really would have liked to at all...

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////