Re: Good news: no more begging for HW

To: Ariel Faigon <ariel@sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Good news: no more begging for HW
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:53:16 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>, linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

Ariel wrote:
> I think the fairest way would be to publish all these
> requests on this forum and have the people who care (us)
> vote on who should get them.  I certainly don't want to
> be the fascist person who decides who gets what.

Well... I hate to be the first to jump in pleading for hardware, but I
could really use it. To date, the only SGI I have access to is
bogomips.ingenia.ca, which is Mike Shaver's machine in Ottawa. This is
difficult, as I can't do anything hardware related, or anything involving
rebooting, etc. Plus, bandwidth is a frequent problem.

I've always been interested in working with the application side of things
(particularly, porting all of RedHat 4.2), but I'd like to get involved in
other things, such as an X server and filesystem support.

Despite my email address, I actually reside in Boston.  I just administer
engsoc.carleton.ca in Ottawa remotely in my spare time (and quite
creatively, too, might I add).

Oh, and my vote is on getting Ralf an SGI, if he doesn't have one already.
I'm not quite sure what the future is like for bogomips.ingenia.com.

- Alex

      Alex deVries           "Alex can cut a mean rug."
  System Administrator       - M. Dittberner <shabby@engsoc.carleton.ca>
   The EngSoc Project