Re: A pointed question about endianness...

To: "Alistair Lambie" <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: A pointed question about endianness...
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 10:56:58 -0700
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>, adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca (Alex deVries), linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, ralf@Julia.DE, shaver@engsoc.carleton.ca
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alistair Lambie writes:
 > On Jun 16, 12:21pm, Ralf Baechle wrote:
 > > Btw, question to the SGI gurus - is the kernel byteorder of SGI machines
 > > be reconfigurable?
 > >

 > As the guys in the US won't be in for a while yet.....
 >
 > My belief is that Indy's were designed to require a PROM change.  I have also
 > heard that there was a problem running NT that required some mods to the
 > boards.
 > These were never released to the field.
 >
 > So the answer is yes, but in practice no!
     Indy never ran anything little-endian, although the memory controller
could in principle support it.  The rest of the system probably would not
work correctly.  As far as I know, only the MIPS Magnum systems really
work both ways.  (They actually work better little-endian, but most were shipped
big-endian.)