A pointed question about endianness...

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: A pointed question about endianness...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 18:54:36 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: ralf@Julia.DE, Mike Shaver <shaver@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I'm going to repeat this question because I still haven't gotten a firm
answer.

As previously discussed, there are good reasons to produce a kernel which
can handle bi-endianness.  But, as Mike says, just not this week...

As we speak, Ralf has produced a batch of MIPS LSB binaries that would be
glorious to be able to run.  The kernel that Mike Shaver and I have is
MSB, as are our kernel, cross-compiler and rudamentary binaries.  I
believe this is because we're branching off of Dave M's work.

But, can we please agree on one endianness?  I don't care which it is, so
long as we all agree. Mike and I are quite willing to give up MSB.

My proposal is to use Ralf's LSB binaries as a launchpad[1], and produce
only LSB binaries until we get bi-endianness going.

Also, Ralf, could you put up a binary of your kernel and a tar ball of
your root fs?

- Alex

[1] Which are mirrored on ftp://ftp.engsoc.carleton.ca/pub/mips if you're
having problems getting them from .de.  That is, until whatever.sgi.com is
setup.

      Alex deVries           "Alex can cut a mean rug."
  System Administrator       - M. Dittberner <shabby@engsoc.carleton.ca>
   The EngSoc Project