Re: gcc for Irix.

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: gcc for Irix.
From: "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 08:39:28 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jun 13,  1:37pm, William J. Earl wrote:

>        If the old headers do not work on the new system, that is a
> bug, not a feature.  There had better not be any subtle
> incompatibilities.  (New headers will not work on an old system, but
> that is a different problem.)
>-- End of excerpt from William J. Earl

Actually, it isn't a bug because there was a major version change.
Anything can change between 5.3 and 6.2.  I know we try to maintain
backwards compatibility but sometimes ANSI requires changes in the
number of parameters, there's a change in the values used to pass to
functions, etc.

I believe our promise is that code compiled on 5.3 will run on 6.2,
not that it will still compile.

--

                Chris Carlson

        | Also, carlson@sgi.com                                |
        |   Work:   (714) 224-4530                             |
        |   Vnet:       6-678-4530     FAX:    (714) 833-9503  |
        | Trivia fact: an electroencephalogram shows that a    |
        | human brain and a bowl of quivering lime Jell-O have |
        | the same waves.  [Time Magazine, Mar 17, 1997]       |