Re: Userland loader / run time loader

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Subject: Re: Userland loader / run time loader
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:51:37 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com, ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de, shaver@neon.ingenia.ca, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, 14 Jun 1997, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> Alex wrote:
> > As written on this list earlier, we don't have bi-endian support.  So,
> > which one is it we're going to support to begin with? How is it that Ralf
> > is able to execute LSB binaries?
> > Am I missing something big?
>
> {\grin[evil] Because I've got four types of MIPS boxes running Linux at
> home and to two more I've got access.}

To address the needs of us lowly folk who have fewer than 2 MIPS boxes[1],
which endian are we going to be supporting first?  It would be _very_
pleasant to be able to run all these binaries that Ralf has prepared.

Also, exactly how difficult is it to alternate the kernel between big and
little endian?

This is getting cooler by the minute...

[1] In my case, 0, but access network access to 1.

- Alex