Re: gcc for Irix.

To: wje@fir.engr.sgi.com (William J. Earl)
Subject: Re: gcc for Irix.
From: ariel@yon.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 10:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:Miguel de Icaza writes:
:...
: >    I am running into a little problem.  The binary gcc that is
: > available on the free software collection is for Irix 5.3 and the
: > include files that are packaged with it are not quite ok for Irix 6.2
:...
:
:      In what way do the 5.3 include files cause problems?
:

[Note: I'm taking care of Miguel in private email]

The headers that come with gcc are:

        1) Only a very small subset of the full set of headers
           which were preprocessed by gcc 'fix_header' utility.

        2) Correspond to the OS version on which gcc was built
           which may be incompatible in subtle ways with the
           runtime libraries on a later OS version.

Since Miguel's Indy is (apparently) a 6.2 IRIX, possibly
without all the necessary header patches, and the gcc he
is trying was built on 5.3, I can see why he has header
problems.

Anyway, don't worry. This is being taken care of.
--
Peace, Ariel