Re: Merge back of the MIPS sources

To: Bob Mende Pie <mende@piecomputer.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Merge back of the MIPS sources
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 11:36:10 -0700
Cc: ralf@Julia.DE, ariel@sgi.com, linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Bob Mende Pie writes:
 > Ralf,
 >
 >    Have you verified that the newest code still works on the other MIPS
 > based systems?   Also, is it possible to have (linux) binary compatability
 > between a mips Magnum or Millennium and an Indy?
 >    There is a 50Mhz Millennium over here that we might be able to use as a
 > test system.

      If the MIPS system is running big-endian (as under RISCos), it can
be binary-compatible with Indy linux, just as RISCos 5.01 -systype svr4
binaries are binary-compatible with Indy IRIX 5.1 and later systems.
If the MIPS system is running little-endian (as under NT), it cannot
be binary-compatible with Indy linux, without adding bi-endian support
(for running opposite-endian binaries, which is feasible, but messy).
We prototyped bi-endian support in RISCos when before the Magnum
was built, and it worked, but the code was very ugly in the streams
area.  linux would likely be easier, but still a hassle.