The Plan For Userland(tm)

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: The Plan For Userland(tm)
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 14:21:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Here's my plan for getting the userland stuff to critical mass:
- kernel and glibc sync'd.  Shouldn't be too hard, once I get the new
kernel from Ralf.  (At the very least, I need the SOCK_{STREAM,DGRAM}
stuff sorted out, and I'd like to figure out a good strategy for
asm/atomic.h.)
- rpm built
- native gcc built as an rpm
- start building rpms natively, and installing them on a fresh
partition

I think the SCSI driver is dodgy (this may be a known problem), and I
need to get glibc installed on neon to ease the configuration issue,
but I think we're well on our way.

I'm _definitely_ going to need more disk space on neon, but I can
steal the ext2 one from bogomips in the short-term.

Oh, BTW:
[shaver@neon shaver]$ telnet bogomips
Trying 205.207.220.72...
Connected to bogomips.ingenia.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

Linux 2.0.12 (bogomips) (ttyp0)

bogomips login: root
Last login: Mon Jun  2 15:29:21 from neon
# ls
205.207.220.72       libexec              tmp
bin                  linux-2.0.12.tar.gz  usr
dev                  linux-2.1.36.tar.gz  var
etc                  proc                 vmlinux
home                 sbin
lib                  static-bin
# exit
Connection closed by foreign host.
[shaver@neon shaver]$

Mike

#>                 Ignore the man behind the curtain.
#>
#> "And then I realized that it never should have worked in the first
#>  place.  Thus, it would not work again until rewritten." --- Anon.