Re: Name the external domain

To: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Subject: Re: Name the external domain
From: ariel@yon.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:12:29 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu, ariel@sgi.com, linux@neteng.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:OK, I got a better idea.  Make the top level domain linux.sgi.com and
:the machine[s] stuff like
:
:       linus.linux.sgi.com     # because we like him (alias)

linus.youre-hired.sgi.com (well, we tried :-)  (*)

:       ftp.linux.sgi.com       # because people will remember it (alias)
:       www.linux.sgi.com       # alias
:       linux.linux.sgi.com     # real machine
:
:Watcha all think?
:

Except for the fact that this is not scalable beyond linux stuff
I like it.  It is certainly the easiest to remember and we can always
add entertaining names/aliases at the hostname level.  'friends' was my
next favorite.

If everyone agrees (and vernon doesn't object) I think we should go
with Larry's scheme.

(*) and we haven't gave up yet.
--
Peace, Ariel