Re: ah...

To: (Ralf Baechle)
Subject: Re: ah...
From: Mike Shaver <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:25:28 -0400 (EDT)
Thus spake Ralf Baechle:
> One of the fun things with SGI...  Long time ago checked two SGI machines
> running different OS versions for reference.  In one of them the values
> for SOCK_STREAM and SOCK_DGRAM are swapped compared to the other.  I wonder
> why.  But anyway, at that time I choose to clone the constants from the
> newer one.

Solaris is the same's probably an SVR thing.
(If you're going to use sockets, though, why not use the BSD values?)

> Grrr...  I somewhen moved the definitions of these constants from the
> generic header files to the machine specific header files and somehow
> lost the appropriate change to the library.  I did change this with an
> eye into the future (IRIX / ABI compatibility) so we wouldn't need some
> stupid conversion routine.  Actually I wonder why I was able to use
> bind, so I'll have to enquire my setup a bit closer.

FWIW, I'd prefer to keep the Linux constants, well, constant.
I don't see a problem with doing value swapping in an ABI routine
later on, a la Linux/SPARC<->Solaris.

#> Mike Shaver ( Ingenia Communications Corporation
#>              Commando Developer - Whatever It Takes
#> "See, you not only have to be a good coder to create a system like
#>    Linux, you have to be a sneaky bastard too." - Linus Torvalds