Re: userland cometh

To: (Alex deVries)
Subject: Re: userland cometh
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 17:13:52 +0200 (MET DST)

> > Actually, I think it'll be my cohort Alex who'll be building most of
> > them.  He likes RPM in a way that's a little frightening (hi, Alex!). =)
> I am, yes, sitting on the edge of my seat for Mike to get the network
> working so I can have access to the machine.  Mike's working on the
> network now to stop my endless pestering.
> The priority will be getting rpm itself to compile properly, although I
> don't anticipate any huge problems.  I just need to tell it that
> Linux/mips exists, I suspect.

This and another one or two minor patches were required to make rpm
build on my machine.

> There's a large lump of joy in knowing that gcc/libc etc work properly.
> The rest is easy.

Trying to build and use a distribution will help us alot to find the bugs.

> > I can imagine.  I'm not looking to be a distribution (yet). =)
> I suspect if we do a good enough job of porting the bulk of the RPMS that
> RedHat will take the effort seriously.  There'll be a lot of RPMs to port,
> though...

Most of the changes we need to do are already covered by some other patch
files in the SRPMs.  For example many packages already contain GNU libc
patches; in some packages the GNU libc patches are disguised as Alpha
patches.  And GNU libc patches are 90% of what we need to patch.