Re: userland cometh

To: shaver@neon.ingenia.ca (Mike Shaver)
Subject: Re: userland cometh
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:38:49 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: ralf@mailhost.uni-koblenz.de, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi,

> Thus spake Ralf Baechle:
> > Take a look at the little endian RPM packages I've published on
> > kernel.panic.julia.de.  All these packages were build from the vanilla
> > SRPM packages on the RedHat 4.1 package.
>
> Yeah, yeah... =)
>
> Once I get a natively-hosted compiler working, I'll be cranking out
> RPMs[*].  In the meantime, convincing some of those packages to
> cross-compile is pretty interesting.  Lots of post-./configure
> Makefile munging with perl and the like.

Urgs...  Easier solution - in most cases running configure on a Intel
or even better Sparc Linux machine does the right thing.  Or even
better - you can save the generated config.cache files and feed them
into future runs of autoconf generated configure scripts.  I used these
two techniques to get my MIPS stuff crosscompiled.