Re: hardware independent hinv

To: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Subject: Re: hardware independent hinv
From: Martin Knoblauch <knobi@munich.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 09:14:50 +0200
Cc: shaver@neon.ingenia.ca, ariel@sgi.com, linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> There was this lovely tool that showed the memory map, with the
> details on the usage.  You could click on say, Emacs, and get a map of
> where Emacs pages were, and it seemed like it could read the symbol
> table information from the process as well (it showed: "No symbols for
> this page").

 That would be "gmemusage" (in a former life "bloatview", with
some really cool desktop icons. Maybe for Linux, we could replace
the pigs with a real fat penguin :-).

> I also saw some printed slides on some program that seemed to let you
> move related functions together in the binary to avoid page faults.
> Can not really tell, as they were flipping trough them really quick.

 That tool is "cord". It uses feedback from prof/pixie experiments.

Martin
--
Check out the DevForum 97  !!!! (http://www.sgi.com/Forum97/)
  If you miss it, you'll never forgive yourself. Neither will I :-)