Re: hardware independent hinv

To: Miguel de Icaza <>
Subject: Re: hardware independent hinv
From: Martin Knoblauch <>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 09:14:50 +0200
Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> There was this lovely tool that showed the memory map, with the
> details on the usage.  You could click on say, Emacs, and get a map of
> where Emacs pages were, and it seemed like it could read the symbol
> table information from the process as well (it showed: "No symbols for
> this page").

 That would be "gmemusage" (in a former life "bloatview", with
some really cool desktop icons. Maybe for Linux, we could replace
the pigs with a real fat penguin :-).

> I also saw some printed slides on some program that seemed to let you
> move related functions together in the binary to avoid page faults.
> Can not really tell, as they were flipping trough them really quick.

 That tool is "cord". It uses feedback from prof/pixie experiments.

Check out the DevForum 97  !!!! (
  If you miss it, you'll never forgive yourself. Neither will I :-)
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
|e-mail: <>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |