network troubles

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: network troubles
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 02:44:23 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I'm trying to get some sort of non-ping, non-NFS traffic working on
the Indy, and I'm having a lot of trouble doing it.

The interface is properly configured (root is NFS mounted, right?),
and I can ping the machine just fine.

When I start up inetd, though, netstat -an shows the telnet and
echo/tcp services as being _UDP_.  Telnetting to either port results
in a refused connection.

My protocols file looks like:

#
# protocols     This file describes the various protocols that are
#               available from the TCP/IP subsystem.  It should be
#               consulted instead of using the numbers in the ARPA
#               include files, or, worse, just guessing them.
#
# Version:      @(#)/etc/protocols      2.00    04/30/93
#
# Author:       Fred N. van Kempen, <waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org>
#

ip      0       IP      # internet protocol, pseudo protocol number
icmp    1       ICMP    # internet control message protocol
igmp    2       IGMP    # internet group multicast protocol
ggp     3       GGP     # gateway-gateway protocol
tcp     6       TCP     # transmission control protocol
pup     12      PUP     # PARC universal packet protocol
udp     17      UDP     # user datagram protocol
idp     22      IDP     # WhatsThis?
raw     255     RAW     # RAW IP interface

# End of protocols.

inetd.conf is:
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/in.telnetd telnetd
echo    stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
echo    stream  udp     nowait  root    internal

and the netstat output is:
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address     State
udp        0      0 bogomips:600            neon:nfs            ESTABLISHED
udp        0      0 *:23                    *:*                 UNKNOWN
udp        0      0 *:echo                  *:*                 UNKNOWN
raw        0      0 *:1                     *:*
Active UNIX domain sockets (including servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags       Type       State         I-Node Path

When I try to tftp out to neon (which is how I get my kernel, so in
theory...), I get:
tftp: sendto: Reserved error 136

Any ideas?  I'm using davem's 2.0.12 kernel, but I can't imagine why
the TCP stuff in the kernel wouldn't work, if the NFS-Root stuff
does...

Mike

--
#> Mike Shaver (shaver@ingenia.com)      Information Warfare Division
#> Chief Tactical and Strategic Officer         "Saepe fidelis"