userland cometh

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: userland cometh
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 01:48:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
OK, I think I've got this cross-compiling thing licked.

Modulo some bogus interactions between the mostly-hacked 2.1.36 kernel
headers and the glibc 2.0.1 stuff (which seems to be a bit off itself,
but that's for another day), userland is coming along nicely.

I've been rebuilding with the glibc-2.0.1 stuff and all-dynamic
linking, and I've got:
fileutils-3.16
tar-1.12
sh-utils-1.16
textutils-1.22
ncurses_1.9.9g (just the libncurses.a, ma'am)
net-tools' inetd, arp, ifconfig, rarp, route and telnetd

I can't get ping or bash to work build just yet (ping was _not_ happy with
my headers), but I'll keep at it.

Once I'm done here, I'll be making a new root.tar.gz for anyone who
wants to play around with it.

Mike

#>      Chief System Architect -- will tame sendmail(8) for food
#>
#> "You are a very perverse individual, and I think I'd like to get to
#>  know you better." --- eric@reference.com