Linux ext2fs goes multi-device :-)

To: linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Linux ext2fs goes multi-device :-)
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 00:48:30 -0500
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I was impressed by the extensive XFS feature list (from some comments
I read from this mailing list archives, and later from the Usenix
paper), so during the past days I coded a little extension to ext2fs
that allows a file system to be extended at runtime.

Say, you are running out of space in /home, you type:

        e2extend /home /dev/sdb1

(where /dev/sdb1 is a fresh disk ready to be used as an extension to
/home).  And poof!  instant extra space in /home.

This is from my limited understanding of the IRIX man pages describind
xlv and xfs.

Tonight this code just passed a lot of testing, I will clean it up and
post to linux-kernel soonish.

Cheers,
Miguel.