Re: hardware independent hinv

To: (Larry McVoy)
Subject: Re: hardware independent hinv
From: Mike Shaver <>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 15:19:04 -0400 (EDT)
Thus spake Larry McVoy:
> : Just forwarding since it sounds someone hopes that Linux/MIPS
> : will some day have a HW independent hinv... - Ariel
> Here's my first pass at it.  It certainly isn't complete but it is a
> start.  We could evolve Linux' /proc to fully handle this.

What about a perl (SGI::?)Hinv:: module that would get hinv data from the
appropriate source?  I've been thinking about a clean perl interface
to /proc for a while, and I assume the data's there for the taking on
the Irixen as well, if you know where to look.  (open("hinv|") is all
else fails.)

#> Mike Shaver ( Ingenia Communications Corporation
#>                 Ignore the man behind the curtain.
#> "And then I realized that it never should have worked in the first
#>  place.  Thus, it would not work again until rewritten." --- Anon.