Re: hardware independent hinv

To: lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com (Larry McVoy)
Subject: Re: hardware independent hinv
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 15:19:04 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: ariel@sgi.com, linux@yon.engr.sgi.com, olson@anchor.engr.sgi.com, scotth@sgi.com, swmgr@swmgr.engr.sgi.com, breyer@swmgr.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thus spake Larry McVoy:
> : Just forwarding since it sounds someone hopes that Linux/MIPS
> : will some day have a HW independent hinv... - Ariel
>
> Here's my first pass at it.  It certainly isn't complete but it is a
> start.  We could evolve Linux' /proc to fully handle this.

What about a perl (SGI::?)Hinv:: module that would get hinv data from the
appropriate source?  I've been thinking about a clean perl interface
to /proc for a while, and I assume the data's there for the taking on
the Irixen as well, if you know where to look.  (open("hinv|") is all
else fails.)

Mike

#>                 Ignore the man behind the curtain.
#>
#> "And then I realized that it never should have worked in the first
#>  place.  Thus, it would not work again until rewritten." --- Anon.