Re: hardware independent hinv

To: miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx
Subject: Re: hardware independent hinv
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 14:18:27 -0400
Cc: shaver@neon.ingenia.ca, ariel@sgi.com, linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
   Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 12:42:17 -0500
   From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>

   I also saw some printed slides on some program that seemed to let
   you move related functions together in the binary to avoid page
   faults.  Can not really tell, as they were flipping trough them
   really quick.

   I remember attending a presentation at Usenix where they talked
   about this very feature.  This is something else we want in our
   binutils.

The solaris dynamic linker does this at run time, it collapses
together only the functions/data which your program could ever
reference into one contiguous chunk of pages.  I haven't worked out
the complete set of details of how this is done completely at run
time, and efficiently as well, but I have spoken to Eric Youngdale and
other Linux userland experts about this trick.