Re: hardware independent hinv

To: ariel@sgi.com
Subject: Re: hardware independent hinv
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@Julia.DE>
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 18:03:20 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> Just forwarding since it sounds someone hopes that Linux/MIPS
> will some day have a HW independent hinv... - Ariel

Larry has shown me a perl script on his Linux/i386 box which does just
this.  I intend to supply the information required by such a script
via the proc filesystem.

  Ralf

Q: what exactly does that IP?? notation stand for?  Internal model names,
CPU modules, ???

> Yes, but then you break even more of the configure scripts.  Again,
> a no-win situation.

You're absolutely right.  For just that reason I changed the output for
little endian MIPS boxes from mipsel to mips a long time ago though
mipsel is logic when thinking of the generic GNU configuration names.

> |  I was just curious is there was somehow we could make life easier
> |  for configure scripts to port software for IRIX...  On the other
> |  hand, we generally only get bad comments about /bin/install, and at
> |  least we *don't* get comments like:

After the last few days I can say that porting to IRIX is a quite boring
job; most things just work.  Only ssh makes problem.  Solved by using
GCC (snapshot) instead of SGI's cc.

> Using cpp is a horrible solution...

Tell the people who invented imake ...

> |  It is hard to add functionality without breaking stuff.
>
> A programmer's lament, if I ever heard one!

Or break what's broken ...