Re: linux-2.1.36 (and update)

To: davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu (David S. Miller)
Subject: Re: linux-2.1.36 (and update)
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 13:49:45 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thus spake David S. Miller:
> If you go and diff my modified version and the stock version in that
> kernel source tree (probably a 2.0.something, somewhere around there,
> you can check the top level Makefile in my original tree ;-) it should
> be easy to tell what I've changed and what is just reformatting.

I'm going to work from the 2.0.12 stock kernel (that's the version
that's running on bogomips right now, so I know it works).

I haven't heard anything recently about linux.sgi.com, so I'll just
install the CVS tree from private/dm somewhere on neon (my poor box)
and try to extract a diff.  Time to brush up on my CVS skills. =)

My Indy goes away in a week or so, and I want to get the 2.1.36 merge
done before it leaves.  (I have the option, but not the means, to
purchase the Indy in question for $5K CDN. =) )  Hopefully, I'll be
able to work off of linux.sgi.com, when it gets deployed somewhere
visible to me.

Once I get to the point where I can successfully build a kernel and
such, I want to start hacking some of the PROM config-extraction
stuff, mainly so I can boot from the network without typing in 5 lines
of nfs config data. =)

One of my cohorts found a book on MIPS assembly in a local store, so
I'll probably pick that up as well; should cut down on the number of
stupid questions I have to ask.

> If I recally, I placed new comments in the places where logic/code
> changes, and not just reformatting.

Excellent, my liege.

(microupdate: just finished unpacking cvs.tar.gz, and I'm going to
have to shuffle some stuff around so I have space to actually extract
a kernel from the archive... =/ )

Mike

#>                   Welcome to the technocracy.
#>
#> "you'd be so disappointed
#>              to find out that the magic was not
#>                          really meant for you" - OLP