Re: EFS and XFS file systems support

To: Larry McVoy <lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: EFS and XFS file systems support
From: Martin Knoblauch <knobi@munich.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:25:32 +0200
Cc: Steve Alexander <sca@refugee.engr.sgi.com>, "Christopher W. Carlson" <carlson@heaven.newport.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Larry McVoy wrote:

> : I thought that there was a program available for Linux that
> : would read EFS file systems, although I can't for the life
> : of me remember the name.
>
> Nope.

 Isn't there something calles "efslook"? I found it mentioned
somewhere in the SGI FAQs. Probably does not really "mount"
the EFS volumes, but you should be able to read them.

> : >My biggest reason for wanting them supported is to access
> : SGI CD ROMs.
> :
> : I think the better question is when will we start distributing
> : CDs in a standard format...  Yeah, yeah, backward compatibility,
> : I know ;->
>
> I agree with Steve.  Switch to iso9660.

  Definitely. Do away with EFS as soon as manageable.

Martin
|Martin Knoblauch                 | Silicon Graphics GmbH             |
|Manager Technical Marketing      | Am Hochacker 3 - Technopark       |
|Silicon Graphics Computer Systems| D-85630 Grasbrunn-Neukeferloh, FRG|
|http://reality.sgi.com/knobi     | Fax:   (+int) 89 46107-179        |
|e-mail: <knobi@munich.sgi.com>   | VM: 6-333-8197 | M/S: IDE-3150    |