Re: init=/bin/sh and serial devices

Subject: Re: init=/bin/sh and serial devices
From: "David S. Miller" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 22:09:11 -0400
   Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:05:52 -0700
   From: "William J. Earl" <>

        Does the textport driver run in color-index mode?  If so, it
   will probably work on the 8-bit card.  The cards are largely
   identical, except for the depth of the frame buffer.

If memory serves, I left the chip in the exact mode the firmware has
set it to.  So if the firmware sets up the card to use color-index
mode, then I do as well in the driver.  (I think I did this so I did
not have to deal with monitor frequencies, and resolutions, and that
sort of thing)

But my text rendering code may make assumptions about frame buffer
depth, I draw them using the various simpler raster operation commands
the Newport has, so someone who knows would have to look at my code.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s   ////
ethernet.  Beat that!                     ////