How big is the Linux/MIPS kernel?

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: How big is the Linux/MIPS kernel?
From: Mike McDonald <mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 11:13:43 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
  Could someone tell me how big the kernel is for the MIPS chip? I
need a rough estimate of the size of a minimal kernel with networking
support, probably no file systems nor disks. A project I'm working on
is currently using VxWorks. We're suppose to add a bunch of large, off
the shelf software components to it and I'm worried about running
everything in one unprotected address space. (All it takes is the web
browser to hickup and the box will crash. But hey, no one has ever
heard of a web browser crashing!) Does anyone have an estimate of the
process switching time? That's one of the things the hardware types
harp about for their multimedia apps.

  Thanks

  Mike McDonald
  mikemac@engr.sgi.com