Re: init=/bin/sh and serial devices

To: Martin Knoblauch <knobi@munich.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: init=/bin/sh and serial devices
From: "Alistair Lambie" <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 19:30:15 +0000
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Apr 9,  7:07pm, Martin Knoblauch wrote:
> Subject: Re: init=/bin/sh and serial devices
> Alistair Lambie wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 9,  2:12pm, Mike Shaver wrote:
> > > Subject: init=/bin/sh and serial devices
> > > Wierd stuff here.
> > > We've got it mountinng the NFS partition and running /bin/sh, but we
> > > can't type anything to it at that point.
> > > It's kinda weird, because we see the `#' prompt, but stuff I type to
> > > it isn't registering.
> > >
> > > stdin in /dev/cua1, FWIW.
> > >

> > Does your Indy not have a 'head' on it....why are you using
> > the serial ports..
> >

>  this brings up the question: do we already have drivers for
> the textport? Not to speak of an X-Server? How are we (SGI)
> going to handle this? As far as I know we never published
> the hardware dependent parts on the X11 distribution, did we?

We already have drivers for 'textport'....well actually it takes over the whole
screen with a font that allows something like 132x80 from what I remeber.  This
has VC support so you can do the usual Alt-F1 etc like on a PC based linux box.
 No work has been done on the X-Server yet.

Cheers, Alistair

--
Alistair Lambie                                     alambie@wellington.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics New Zealand                              SGI Voicemail: 56791