Re: It booooooooooots!

To: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: It booooooooooots!
From: "Alistair Lambie" <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 11:48:25 +0000
Cc: kneedham@ottawa.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Apr 9, 10:27am, Mike Shaver wrote:
> Subject: It booooooooooots!
> Sending BOOTP and RARP requests............
>
> Doesn't seem to want to find the server again for the NFS root thing,
> but that's probably a config problem.

I used to have that...you probably haven't got a rarp server set up, so it
can't find its address.  One of the things David was going to add was that
ability to read it out of NVRAM...but that wasn't high on the priority list!
 For now, the only way is to have a rarp server.  The other way is to have the
root file system on hard disk....but to do that you need to boot linux and copy
it across.
Kind of the chicken and the egg situation!

> _Now_ we're ready to rock...

Did you get my root filesystem etc off http://reality.sgi.com/ariel/alambie.
This should give you the bits you need to get multiuser (init), set up
networking and mount disks.

Cheers, Alistair

--
Alistair Lambie                                     alambie@wellington.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics New Zealand                              SGI Voicemail: 56791