Re: It booooooooooots!

To: "Alistair Lambie" <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: It booooooooooots!
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.esd.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 17:00:43 -0700
Cc: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, kneedham@ottawa.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alistair Lambie writes:
 > On Apr 9, 10:27am, Mike Shaver wrote:
 > > Subject: It booooooooooots!
 > > Sending BOOTP and RARP requests............
 > >
 > > Doesn't seem to want to find the server again for the NFS root thing,
 > > but that's probably a config problem.
 > >

 > I used to have that...you probably haven't got a rarp server set up, so it
 > can't find its address.  One of the things David was going to add was that
 > ability to read it out of NVRAM...but that wasn't high on the priority list!
 >  For now, the only way is to have a rarp server.  The other way is to have
 > the
 > root file system on hard disk....but to do that you need to boot linux and
 > copy
 > it across.
 > Kind of the chicken and the egg situation!

     Can you pass the information to the kernel via the command line arguments
or the environment variables?  (argc, argv, and environ are passed in $a0, $a1,
and $a2 by the PROM or sash to the kernel on entry, just as they are passed
to a main program in a regular process; you can look for the "netaddr"
environment
variable to find your IP address:

        netaddr=192.111.24.24

Set netaddr at the prom this way: